Monday 17 February 2014

Dain Korea, Gloucester Road, Review

16/02/2014 - Dain Korea

A new experience, a new restaurant, a new review - Dain Korea serves traditional Korean food and is a relative newcomer to the Gloucester Road scene. 

This isn't my first foray into Korean food in Bristol, I have eaten at Surakhan (Park Row) before and had a very enjoyable meal, so I was excited at the prospect of some more delicious Korean food with the added bonus of Dain Korea being a BYO (bring your own booze).


Menu with my own bottle of wine


The menu offered a choice of traditional Korean meals including Bimbimbap, a hearty bowl of rice topped with a decorative mix of vegetables, egg and meat which is then stirred in by the diner, and Bulgogi, which I was told is a delicious serving of grilled marinated meats. There was also a long list of starters to choose from. 

I opted for a traditional Korean selection. Pa Jeon (seafood pancakes) to start, followed by a Raw Beef Bimbimbap. The restaurant provided some nibbles as a pre-show in the form of pickled eggs and Kimchee (pickled cabbage).

The starter looked impressive when it arrived, I enjoyed the crunchy texture of the pancake against the softer filling however I found it slightly too oily for my liking. 


Pa Jeon with pickled hors d'oevres in the background

Spot the squid!
The main was quite enjoyable, when it arrive my Bimbimbap looked like this:


Miso Soup served on the side
The contrasting colours worked well and the portions were not skimpy - a mountain of sticky rice topped with greens, meat and egg! I looked forward to mixing my ingredients together into the hot bowl so I could cook my meat and start the feast. 

Post stirring, and after a few minutes of cooking, I was ready to dig in. The meal was delicious, as with the starter I loved the crunch of the rice that had baked onto the bottom of the bowl combined with the rest of the meal. Cooking my own meat was a novelty and being able to season my own bowl with chili sauce and miso soup added to the overall experience.  
My creation - Post cooking

It seems as though the focus here is strictly on food, the decor is lacking (to put it mildly) and the tables are packed in tightly. Heating is provided by a couple of electric stoves, which to be fair to them do a good job of heating the place, and customers are seated at sturdy wooden tables and chairs. 

Score :

Food: 7/10


You will not find food like this in many places, in the UK at least, and I would recommend you try it. Bimbimbap is a great choice but I will be back to sample the Bulgogi.

Atmosphere: 3/10

This isn't the venue for a "nice meal", it's not catering to that market and it doesn't pretend to. Heating ducts wrapped in foil and poorly fitted wallpaper are the norm here, if you come make sure it's for the food!

Service: 6/10


The waiting staff were helpful and friendly although the table was slow to be cleared after each course. We still had our empty starter dishes on the table when the mains arrived.


Value for Money: 7.5/10


We paid £15 per person, including £1 corkage each for our wine. Cheaper than Surakhan and offers a similar level of food quality, although the cost is
 slightly more than you would expect for the surroundings

If you have a desire to sample new cuisines then Dain Korea is a good choice with a traditional menu of Korean dishes to sample. The decor is obviously not putting people off as all tables were taken on the night I visited. Bearing this in mind, I would make sure you book ahead to avoid disappointment - and don't forget to bring your own alcohol!


Over and out
- the enFoodiast

No comments:

Post a Comment