Tuesday 18 February 2014

Turtle Bay, Review.

17/02/2014 - Turtle Bay

Turtle Bay is a whole load of cool wrapped up in a restaurant, awesome surroundings, reggae music, 241 cocktails for most of the day and most importantly delicious Caribbean food.


On the night I drank three of the cocktails, each with a particular flavour and twang. To start a FIERY Jamaican Mule, with spicy Ginger Beer and spiced Rum, followed by a couple of sweet and refreshing Strawberry Daiquiris, Havana rum based drinks but with the added fresh lime and strawberries, and to finish a cocktail based on orange liquor whose name escapes me - cannot remember the name, but I was a few drinks in by then! Favourite was the Daiquiri by far. 




Now on to the food. Carribean food has always been a favourite of mine, I love the earthy flavours, so I was looking forward to trying this menu. Two types of main-meal were on offer, alongside lighter lunch dishes and tapas-style cutters. The choice between One-Pot dishes "rich, slowly simmered and uniquely Caribbean" and the "succulent authentic Jerk dishes" on the Jerk Pit BBQ section was a tough one but in the end I settled for a Trinidad Curry Chicken One-Pot. 
The pot was brought to the table and lid removed to 'unveil' this gorgeous looking curry

Tender chicken breast slowly cooked into a delicate yet tangy curry, topped with sweet onion chutney and fresh shavings of coconut then served with a side of well-seasoned "rice 'n' peas" - the pot dish was gorgeous. The Jerk sauce on the Cheesy Jerk Fries was also delicious, although I did find myself a little disappointed as they were sweet potato fries, the texture of which I just can't bring myself to like even though the majority of people seem to love them. The Coleslaw complimented the meal well as promised and I particularly enjoyed the sweetness from the raisins. 

Score :

Food: 9.5/10


My meal was amongst some of the best Carribean-inspired food that I have had in the UK. If I went back I would ask for potato fries but that's my fault for being weird with sweet potato!

Atmosphere: 10/10

Such a feel good place. Loved the music, the decorations and the bustle. In a great location right on Broad Quay. 

Service: 9/10


The waitress was excellent and actively made recommendations as to what to have. May have waited a few minutes longer than expected for the last cocktail but I put that down to the bar being busy.


Value for Money: 9/10


241 cocktails are a bargain, made very professionally with quality ingredients. Food is also good value, spent £25 per person but for what that included I can't complain. 


It is rare that a restaurant ticks so many boxes simultaneously, but Turtle Bay really did. If you want to go not only for a great meal but a lively, fun experience I could not recommend it more.


Over and out
- the enFoodiast

2 comments:

  1. Great review of Turtle Bay - it's somewhere I've always wanted to try but never got round to it!! Was the curry spicy? (I'm a bit of a spice wimp!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, not as spicy as the Ginger Beer! Definitely warm though. Worth going if you've never been! If you're a spice whimp then maybe try one of their creamier options? There were plenty of coconut based dishes on the menu that sounded incredible!

    ReplyDelete