Wednesday 12 March 2014

Zen Harbourside Bristol - Mini review




Hot Pot - one of the most traditional Chinese dining experiences available in Bristol, a few places do it but I doubt they're as nice as Zen. The restaurant is located in the harbourside on Millennium Square, well decorated and with a slightly classier feel that your average Chinese restaurant, it ticks a lot of boxes. 

The whole premise was that you cooked as much as you could eat, the list of ingredients was staggering: Rashers of lamb and beef, pork luncheon meat, fillets of fresh white fish, raw shell-on king prawns,  two types of tofu, bread-balls, crab sticks, crab balls, mussels, delicious pak-choi, cabbage, cubes of potatoes, Chinese mushrooms, glass noodles and I am sure I am forgetting some! 

The chilli sauce was FULL of chillis, when running the little scoop (pictured) you came up with a bunch of fresh, dried and flaked chillis. It was also extremely well balanced in terms of seasoning, having an almost peppery taste to it with the spice being a natural addition and not too over powering. The stock was plain but simple vegetable stock but I found cooking the meats in the plain stock then dipping them in the chilli sauce for flavour was the best way to cook them.

Soup options happily bubbling away on a camp stove

Fish and vegetable options!




This was AFTER we'd finished an hour and half's worth of food!

The whole experience was so much fun, we spent an hour and half in the restaurant cooking and tasting everything and didn't even notice the time! It was a little daunting though, I was a bit uneasy about the mix of raw food on the table and not having separate utensils to use to place it in the soup – I decided to hold the chopsticks in the stock to boil them off between rounds. 

Overall this was one of my favourite dining experiences of 2014, I would heartily recommend the hot-pot concept for everyone to try. Having been to Zen before I know the normal menu is very good, next time I’m back I’ll be sure to give it a proper review!

Please note that this was a Groupon offer so is not 100% reflective of Zen's usual offering but it was such a great evening that I couldn't help but break my study hiatus to blog about it! 

Anyway... back to work :( 

Over and out
- the EnFoodiast<

No comments:

Post a Comment